Avalon Mixed-Use Development
Kimley-Horn provided civil engineering and parking consulting services for this 86-acre, $1 billion sustainable mixed-use development in Alpharetta, GA.
Sustainably designed with the future in mind, Avalon offers a walkable community, seamlessly connecting shopping, dining, entertainment, living, and working. The mini-city comprises 570,000 square feet of retail space, more than 600,000 square feet of office, a 330-key hotel and conference center with 47,000 square feet of flexible event space, 600+ multi- and single-family residences, and a future-proof fiberhood with internet connection speeds that are 100 times faster than what was currently on the market.
Phase I included 570,000 square feet of retail space, a 12-screen Regal Cinemas theater, 108,000 square feet of Class A office space, 101 single-family residences, and 250 apartment homes. Phase II included 276 apartments, a 330-key hotel and conference center with 47,000 square feet of flexible event space on 19 acres, and 525,000 square feet of Class A office space in two buildings.
- Developed and delivered in phases from 2012-2019, subsequent phases were planned to provide minimal disturbance for residents, tenants, and visitors
- Decreased typical demand by 15%-18% from the municipal water system through rainwater harvesting
- Designed onsite power grid management system via two separate providers
- Reduced parking lots and structures by 25% through shared parking program solutions
- Salvaged existing infrastructure from the previous developer which stalled during the Great Recession
- Delivered the first Alpharetta Design Review permit by July 2012, only four months after design was kicked-off
- Established onsite field process with project landscape architect, providing seamless delivery of quality site work
- Site-specific water infrastructure design saved our client over $110,000
- Maximized development capability through flood management hydrology modeling along the eastern property border
- Streamlined permitting process with three regulatory agencies, saving time on the 27 required permits
- 2018 US Design and Development Gold Award, International Council of Shopping Centers
- 2016 US Design and Development Gold Award, International Council of Shopping Centers
- 2015 Groundbreaker Award, Atlanta Magazine
- 2015 Project of the Year, ULI Atlanta
- 2015 Retail Award Finalist, Atlanta Business Chronicle – Best in Atlanta Real Estate
Kimley-Horn was a key member of the best Design and Development Team in the business. Thanks for all of your contributions!"
| Partner and Vice President of Development
North American Properties