National Planning Conference
KIMLEY-HORN SPEAKERS, PRESENTERS, AND FACILITATORS
Melissa DuMond, AICP
Danielle McCray, P.E.
Modernizing Transit Through an Equity Lens
May 1, 2022 | 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM PT
Equity planning on a broad scale is launching all over the United States in response the development of a collective social conscience and the need to address equity in decision-making. Virginia passed legislation creating opportunity to change policy and funding. This presentation will delve into strategies developed with 39 transit agencies, the public and rider focus groups and advocacy groups in Virginia, as well as best practices from around the country.
Presenters explain how they devised this statewide assessment to determine the state of transit and identify best approaches to service, safety, infrastructure, technology, and engagement. They share transit executives’ comments about the challenges of program shifts, describe competitive funding metrics that lead to preference for systems serving urban populations, and identify policy changes that would facilitate just distribution of benefits.
- Learn about Virginia’s equitable approach to study, make decisions about, and modernize its transit system.
- Define equity in the context of Virginia’s transit-systems modernization.
- Understand measures that were used to determine equity and the state of each of the study’s six topic areas.
Michael Iswalt, AICP
SANDAG's 5-Big-Moves: San Diego's Bold New Transportation Plan
May 1, 2022 | 3:30 PM – 4:15 PM PT
SANDAG’s 5 Big Moves and 2021 Regional Plan are more equitable, ambitious, and transformational than all previous regional planning efforts.
Presenters focus on both the 2021 Regional Plan’s transformative vision and the ongoing, short-term implementation efforts to achieve it.
- Reframe how planners and stakeholders work together to plan and implement innovative regional transportation.
- Discover concrete examples of data-driven planning for regional Mobility Hubs and Flexible Fleets (including microtransit, micromobility, car-share, and last-mile delivery) for diverse uses.
- Learn from past San Diego microtransit implementation and current Flexible Fleet pilot planning and implementation.