Siesta Key Beach Park
Kimley-Horn partnered with Sarasota County Parks & Recreation to provide landscape architecture, master planning, site planning, environmental permitting, and stormwater management services for the implementation of Siesta Key Beach Park in southwest Florida.
Construction of this $21-million project began in fall 2013, and the park officially opened to the public in February 2016. Construction was carefully sequenced to minimize interruption during peak tourist season. Kimley-Horn’s services included programming, park design, landscape architecture, civil engineering, site environmental assessment, coordinating the shoreline profile and wetland survey, habitat assessment/delineation, costal planning, and construction documents for this high-profile park project; and our design components included “site design” enhancements, a beachfront esplanade to connect key park components, improved traffic circulation and parking, high-quality architecture, beautification consistent with a “world class” beach park, phasing and effective implementation while keeping the park open, wayfinding signage, environmental permitting, sustainable design to respect the environment and wildlife, and LID/LEED design solutions.
Key Park Features:
- Beachfront esplanade
- New concession/restroom facility
- Renovated historical restroom
- Playground with dedicated play areas for 2 to 5 and 5 to 12 year olds
- Picnic area
- Florida-friendly landscaping
- Pervious concrete parking lots
- 2017 Award of Excellence, Open Space Category – Florida American Society of Landscape Architects (FLASLA)
- 2017 Engineering Excellence Award, Water & Stormwater – Florida Institute of Consulting Engineers (FICE)